Tales of a Midwest Lutheran on the East Coast

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Psalm for the week of August 7th

August 7: Psalm 50:1-8, 22-23

1 The mighty one, God the Lord,
   speaks and summons the earth
   from the rising of the sun to its setting.
2 Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty,
   God shines forth.
3 Our God comes and does not keep silence,
   before him is a devouring fire,
   and a mighty tempest all around him.
4 He calls to the heavens above
   and to the earth, that he may judge his people:
5 ‘Gather to me my faithful ones,
   who made a covenant with me by sacrifice!’
6 The heavens declare his righteousness,
   for God himself is judge.
Selah
7 ‘Hear, O my people, and I will speak,
   O Israel, I will testify against you.
   I am God, your God.
8 Not for your sacrifices do I rebuke you;
   your burnt-offerings are continually before me.
22 ‘Mark this, then, you who forget God,
   or I will tear you apart, and there will be no one to deliver.
23 Those who bring thanksgiving as their sacrifice honour me;
   to those who go the right way
   I will show the salvation of God.’

  

What does this psalm say about God?
Does this psalm get me thinking about Jesus?
What emotions do I notice in this psalm? When have I felt the same way?
Does this psalm comfort me or challenge me?
Is there one verse that particularly speaks to me? Why? Consider memorizing this verse to carry with you for the upcoming week.



No comments:

Post a Comment