Week 2 - Wednesday, July 1
Say a prayer before your meal. You can use one of the prayers on the last page. Then read aloud the background introduction and text, followed by one or more of the discussion questions.
Introduction: Many of the 5,000 Jesus fed in the wilderness continued to follow Jesus. Jesus challenges them to consider the real nature of why they are following him.
John 6: 28 – 35
So they said to him, “What sign are you going to give us then, so that we may see it and believe you? What work are you performing? Our ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written, ‘He gave them bread from heaven to eat.’” Then Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” They said to him, “Sir, give us this bread always.” Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.”
1. What do you remember about the story of the manna in the wilderness? (If you need to, see Exodus 16:1-16 for help). How do you think you would react if you had been there?
2. *What do we need to grow big and strong? How does Jesus help us to grow? How can we help each other grow?
3. When has God given you something that you really needed in a way you didn’t expect?
4. Can people be hungry and thirsty for something other than food or water? What are you hungry and thirsty for?
5. *Think about people who are regularly hungry and thirsty. How can you pray for them or use your God-given gifts to help them this week?
*indicates questions that might be suitable for younger children