Tales of a Midwest Lutheran on the East Coast

Friday, August 26, 2011

First an Earthquake, now Hurrican Irene...

...Welcome to New Jersey! And what a welcome indeed. First, the earth shook beneath our feet on Tuesday - well, actually I was sitting on the couch wondering what in the world was being moved and why was it shaking the whole apartment? It was only later when I checked Facebook that I saw on nearly everyone's status stuff about the earthquake. Nothing was damaged, it was just freaky.

Next, we hear that Hurrican Irene is headed this way. Everyone is freaking out a bit - there were lines forming at gas stations and Shoprite was super crowded (and the shelves with cans and bottled water were pretty empty already). Landfall here should be Sunday morning - the bishop here advised cancellation of services even, but it is up to local pastors to decide. The Jersey shore is closed off completely. We really have no idea yet how bad it will be this far inland; we'll just have to wait and see. We've located our candles and matches in our stuff, found some batteries and flashlights, and have some canned goods ready to go. I really hope we don't have to eat cold peas and green beans, though. :)

On a more positive note, we have officially surpassed a milestone for adulthood, at least in my weird little mind. We have a real bed frame with a headboard. No more box spring (which was damaged in the move) and iron frame stuff for us! We are well on our way to becoming an IKEA catalog! I don't know, for some ready this  makes me feel like I have passed through some sacred threshold that only people with real apartments with real jobs can pass. Another cool thing is that I constructed it myself, while Beau was at the office. Just call me "Rosie" with the mad drilling skills! Beau was super impressed. :)

In other news, I am going to have to wait another week before knowing what is going on in the process. In the meantime, you should all send me letters so that I have something to read when I want a break from unpacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment